Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Sympathy Pregnancy

We hear about sympathy pregnancy, also known as Couvade Syndrome, from time to time and some of us consider it as a myth. It's when husbands start having pregnancy "symptoms" when their wives are pregnant. The result, as the months go closer to the due date, the wives' bellies are not the one ones growing big. When I was little, someone told me that he prayed to God to "redirect" all the pregnancy symptoms to him when his wife was pregnant so she didn't have to suffer the pain. I thought that was cool and that moment, I was dreaming that my future husband would be as thoughtful and loving as him. So anyway, lately my dear husband has been eating more than usual. He usually has a quite healthy eating habit and pretty good willpower in terms of snacking on "junk" food. But, as we both watch in horror every time he finishes up my food in addition to his second serving at the restaurant and I caught him several times secretly eating the chocolate bars in the kitchen, we both began to wonder and joke that maybe he is experiencing the sympathy pregnancy. He keeps saying, what's wrong with me? what's wrong with my body? Poor hubby, He admitted that his body felt different lately. Besides the increase in appetite and his chocolate craving, he also feels tired all the time (although that's not new) and bloated. Me, on the other hand, I am gradually losing my appetite. I don't feel hungry and just don't feel like eating. I have to force myself to eat lately coz otherwise, I would feel a severe headache that last for a day. Anyway, we still don't know if what my hubby experiences is really the Cauvade Syndrome or it's just a coincidence. But I found an interesting article about it. The article shows that a research group did a study on a population of husbands with expecting wives and found that through the bond that they had with their wives, they developed the Couvade Syndrome and experienced the mood swings, cravings, change in appetite, stomach pain, etc. You can read the rest of the article here: http://www.sgul.ac.uk/index.cfm?299419BE-F89C-BD0F-01D3-9249F83BD0FE.  

No comments: